At the end of the course, students will gain
- knowledge of the basic economic principles, concepts, and the tools for economic analysis;
- understanding of the structure and functioning of economic institutions – commercial, agricultural, industrial and financial institutions;
- understanding of the basis for rational economic decisions;
- ability to explain the basis and structure of the West African economy, including the roles of agriculture, industry and mining and their contributions to the national income;
- ability to follow the role and status of the West African countries in international economic relationships;
- ability to appreciate the problems West African countries encounter in their economic development.